How old is Baby Dhiren today?

Friday, November 21, 2008

Indian Sweets

I, being a Malaysian, love love love Indian food! The banana leaf rice (The best one is Nirvana Maju), the roti, the thosai, fish curry.....yum yum yum. That is why I married my Bollywood Hubby. HA ha ha :)

But there is still this one thing that I can't bring myself to take (I bring shame to all the Chinese...we're suppose to eat anything and everything).......that is Indian Dessert! It is so so sweet. Words can't describe how sweet it is. All you can taste is the milk and the sweetness. So I told my Hubby, "Go ahead feed me anything but dessert," his mouth almost drop. "What? You with your sweet tooth are refusing dessert?"

Recently, whether is hormonal changes (after having baby lah) or Hubby finally bought the best sweets in town, from Saravanaa Bhavan Restaurant in Bangsar. It was fantastic.


They are a chain restaurant from India which also serve authentic vegetarian food. And their staff are also hired from India. My Hubby actually recognized one of them who served him back in India!


I love the one with icing coating on the lower left side, which Hubby don't know the name. It reminded me of a really yummy icing donut but harder. Laddu, the popular one comes in a whole lots of different flavors depending on the ingredients. Mysore Pak is originated from Karnataka (my Hubby's state). It is made of generous amounts of ghee, chickpea flour, suger and it was first created in the kitchen of the Mysore Palace by the royal cook. Jahangiri/ Jaangiri is a variant of jalebi, this sweet is fried and served with generous amount of sugar syrup, very popular at weddings and festivals.

And also thanks to Edward, I get to try the equally best sweets from Sangeetha.

Sangeetha is located at Lebuh Ampang, KL. Tel 03-20323333


My favourite is Sompapddi/ Sohanpapdi. It is square in shape, and has a crispy and flaky texture, melts in the mouth. It's made from sugar, gram flour, milk, ghee and cardamom. Absolutely delicious.

So, before you run out and get a box of this yummy sweets, be warned that the sugar content might cause a 'sugar-high' effect and it is definately not for anyone who suffer from any form of diabetes. For me, I will only indulge inthis once a year.....mmmh, can't wait for the next Deepavali.

3 comments:

Ann said...

Oh...I know what you are saying!

The sweets are living up to their name definitely. And I have a sweet tooth!

but will def try the ones you mentioned!

Julie said...

I like Indian desserts but don't know their name. Only know how to eat.

Collecting Moments said...

I LOVE THE SWEETS!!!!! :D